Naegleria fowleri, known as the “brain-eating amoeba,” took the life of a young man on Thursday in Karachi.
Salman Ahmed, a 21-year-old DHA resident, was brought to a private hospital after becoming feverish. His health continued to decline despite getting ventilator support, and he died on July 6th.
The latest death brings the overall number of Naegleria-related fatalities to six. Karachi recorded four of these occurrences, while Quetta and Hyderabad each reported one.
Ahmed had bathed in the private academy’s pool in DHA, according to investigations into his case.
Analyses were conducted after samples taken from the pool revealed inadequate levels of chlorine.
The Karachi Water and Sewerage Board have come under fire from health experts over the city’s water supply’s insufficient chlorine levels.
They have also raised worry about the failing sewage systems, which endanger the safety and purity of the water. To guarantee effective water disinfection, residents are recommended to clean their subterranean tanks and apply chlorine tablets.