Federal Information Minister Fawad Chaudhry celebrated that a ‘conspiracy’ against Pakistan cricket was thwarted after the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) apologized for abandoning their tour and promised they would return in 2022.
The minister tweeted an appreciation for all those who supported Pakistan after the ECB had announced the suspension of their intended tour in October. Chaudhry thanked the cricket fraternity, and the global media and diplomats who stood by Pakistan at a time when international cricket was flailing in the country.
انگلش کرکٹ بورڈ کی معزرت اور پاکستان کے دورے کا اعلان ہمارے مؤقف کی بڑی کامیابی ہے، کرکٹ کے کھلاڑیوں، سفارت کاروں، انٹرنیشنل میڈیا اور ان تمام لوگوں کا شکریہ جنہوں نے اس معاملےپرپاکستان کا ساتھ دیا پاکستان کی کرکٹ کیخلاف ایک اور سازش ناکام ہوئ،
— Ch Fawad Hussain (@fawadchaudhry) September 29, 2021
The tweets came after British media reported that ECB Chairman Ian Watmore issued an apology and stated that he was ‘very sorry’ to those who had been affected by the decision, especially those in Pakistan.
Earlier this month, the New Zealand (NZ) cricket team cited security concerns and left Pakistan abruptly, just hours ahead of their first match. A few days later, the ECB called off the two Twenty-20 matches that the England cricket teams were set to play on October 14 and 15 in Pakistan. The ECB said it made the decision to prioritize players’ mental and physical health above all.
Uproar ensued on social media and several high-ups in the cricket fraternity lamented over England’s withdrawal. Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) Chairman Ramiz Raja was ‘severely disappointed’ by England abandoning the tour. Raja said that he believed England and New Zealand (NZ) to be Pakistan’s cricket allies, but their withdrawals proved otherwise. He added that England, NZ, and Australia had formed a ‘bloc’ that supported each other and now Pakistan would also only pursue what was in its best interest.