The World Health Organization (WHO) has said that the Covid-19 epidemic is still a global emergency.
The statement came three years after the COVID-19 pandemic was declared a global health emergency.
In 2020, the World Health Organization’s Emergency Committee declared COVID-19 a global emergency to accelerate the process of research and precautionary measures in this regard.
A recent meeting of the emergency committee was held on January 27 in which recommendations regarding the Covid epidemic were sent to the DIRECTOR General of WHO.
Now a statement had been issued by the world body in this regard.
“The emergency committee meeting reiterated that the COVID-19 pandemic is still a global crisis,” the statement said.
The director-general agreed with the advice given by the emergency committee on the COVID-19 pandemic, the statement said.
The Director General acknowledged the committee’s view that the COVID-19 pandemic is still undergoing a transition phase and appreciated the suggestion that caution needs to be taken during the process to avoid adverse outcomes, the statement said.
Earlier on January 27, the World Health Organization said that about 40,000 deaths were reported as a result of Covid last week.