As violent conflict between forces loyal to two opposing generals continued for a second week, other countries hurried to remove their citizens from Sudan.
Hundreds of people were being taken out overnight on military planes as of early Monday as the evacuation flights continued.
While millions of terrified citizens holed themselves inside their houses, many of whom were running low on water and food, foreigners also departed the country’s capital, Khartoum, in a lengthy United Nations convoy.
Since April 15, army and paramilitary soldiers have engaged in fierce street skirmishes throughout the five million-person metropolis, leaving behind burned tanks, demolished structures, and looted stores.
On Sunday, 100 embassy employees and their family members were the target of a rescue operation by US Special Forces. Chinook helicopters were used to carry the victims to a military camp in Djibouti.
President Joe Biden stated in a letter to the Speaker of the House on Sunday that US forces “will remain deployed in Djibouti to protect United States personnel and others until the security situation no longer requires their presence.”
While Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said his government had temporarily halted its evacuation effort, British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak claimed UK military had also rescued diplomats and their families.
Trudeau wrote, “Our diplomats are safe; they have been withdrawn and are operating from outside the country.
In the meantime, Germany and France said they had started evacuating both their citizens and those from neighboring nations.
Around 200 passengers of various nationalities arrived in Djibouti on two French aircraft.
On the first of three military planes flown to Sudan, the German army said that it had evacuated 101 persons. According to the Bundeswehr, the first Airbus A400M “landed safely in Jordan” at approximately midnight local time (2100 GMT Sunday).
It stated that another airliner carrying 113 passengers was headed towards Jordan. Approximately 300 persons were evacuated from Italy in all, according to their foreign ministries.
Jose Manuel Albares, the foreign minister of Madrid, tweeted, “We reiterate the call for a ceasefire and resumption of dialogue in Sudan.”
Ireland said that it has also sent out a rescue squad to help with the evacuation of its people and their dependents.
Egypt, Sudan’s sizable neighbor to the north, said that 436 of its citizens had been evacuated by land.
One Sierra Leonean evacuee reported seeing lengthy convoys of UN cars and buses travelling 850 kilometers (530 miles) by route from Khartoum to Port Sudan on the Red Sea, transporting “citizens from all over the world”.