Former wrestler backs WWE’s first female referee on claim that CEO McMahon raped her

Allegations were first made in 1992, with the incident taking place in 1986

Picture source - WWE

A former wrestler has stated that an allegation of rape against World Wrestling Entertainment’s former CEO Vince McMahon by the organization’s first female referee was true.

According to a report in Business Insider, Leonard Inzitari, the former wrestler who went by the stage name Mario Mancini, said the allegation dating back to 1992, made by Rita Chatterton was true.

Inzitari made the claim to a journalist for a story published in the New York Magazine on Monday. The journalist in question is in the process of writing a book called ‘Ringmaster’, set to release next March.

The report said that this was the first time a wrestler had thrown weight behind Chatterton’s accusation.

Chatterton had come forward with the allegation in 1992, that McMahon raped her in his car in 1986.

The New York Magazine report said that Chatterton had declined to put forth charges against McMahon, and the statute of limitations for rape had passed at the time.

Inzitari had said in the New York Magazine report that Chatterton told him in 1986 before a World Wrestling Federation (WWF; later called WWE) show about her ordeal.

The report in Business Insider said that WWE did not respond to requests for comments on the company or McMahon’s behalf.

Moreover, Business Insider also stated that McMahon’s lawyer also did not respond to requests for comments.

Chatterton told the New York Magazine journalist that she was willing to take the case but was aware that it would be an uphill battle, adding that it would be her word against the former WWE chairman’s.

She said that that she was scared as McMahon was powerful.

McMahon had called the accusation false in a lawsuit when the allegations came out.

The owner of the show on which the allegations had been made was sued by McMahon and his wife, who had alleged that the defense was part of a conspiracy to cause “severe emotional distress” on the McMahon family with the “fabrication”.

The lawsuit had eventually dropped.

Moreover, The Wall Street Journal in a report early this month had said that WWE’s board was conducting investigations into payments McMahon made to former female employees of the organization, some of whom had accused him and the head of talent relations of misconduct.

The said payments had prohibited those employees from speaking about the agreements.

To read the report by Business Insider, click here, and here for the NY Magazine report

2 COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here