Daily Minute Mirror got in touch with super-model and actor Tooba Siddiqui to discuss the creative process that went into the making of her first drama serial as a writer.
- What is the title of your serial?
My serial is called Gumn, translated into English as “lost”. It’s a mystery drama stretching across thirteen episodes.
- What was the inspiration behind writing a drama serial? Are there any writers from our own drama industry who have acted as inspirations for you?
The monotony that has seeped into our television content was what inspired me to write this serial. I wanted to work on something else – a different genre perhaps. Seeing that thrillers haven’t been touched upon very frequently in our industry, I decided to go for it. Besides, I personally have a thing for thrillers. If I had to write something, it had to be in this genre. Talking about writers acting as inspirations, there are quite a few screenwriters I admire, but when it comes to thrillers, I haven’t seen anyone working in the genre in a proper manner in our country.
- What is the serial based on?
It’s a fictitious story, as I believe that we have been exhibiting a bit too much reality on screen. At times, people get sick of harsh truths both on and off screen, so it’s good for them to have an escapism of some sort. We hardly make use of fiction and fantasy, although it seems to be the need of the time, considering the depressing times we are living in.
- Who will be directing the serial? Did you get in touch with the director yourself or through some channel?
Sarmad Khoosat is the director, who has completed his job and we are in the post-production phase now. My production partner Erum Binte Shahid and I got in touch with Sarmad, who is also a friend of ours. He really liked the script and readily agreed to work on it. His appreciation, to me, was like the icing on the cake. Sarmad’s predilection for the project and his interest in it gave me enough confidence that my script, despite being my first experiment in the field, isn’t that bad.
- Do you think your director is the ideal person for understanding and executing your script?
Definitely! Sarmad was the ideal choice for it, and therefore our first choice.
- How have you been able to deal with the technicalities that come along with the genre of screenwriting?
Yes, writing a thriller is a different thing, but I had a very good team. Besides, Sarmad’s guidance as the director made a lot of things easier.
- Can you share the cast of the serial? When are we getting to watch it on screen and on which channel?
I’ll be there myself, performing along with Furqan Qureshi, Zara Tareen, Feroz Qadri, Usman Peerzada, Behroz Sabzwari and a lot of guest appearances by popular celebrities. The serial will be aired soon on an upcoming channel called Green.