Additional Inspector General Ghulam Nabi Memon on Tuesday said that the police had received intelligence reports concerning the attack on the Chinese nationals in Karachi.
Memon said that security had been given to the foreign nationals taking into consideration the intelligence reports.
The statement from the Karachi Police chief comes after a female suicide bomber detonated an explosive device near a van at Confucius Institute in Karachi University. Four people, including three Chinese nationals, were killed whereas four others were injured.
The Chinese nationals were identified as the director of the Confucius Institute Huang Guiping, and Ding Mupeng, Chen Sai, and their Pakistani driver, Khalid.
“The police had received reports regarding security threats to Chinese nationals and security was also provided to them, however, no intelligence report of suicide attack through a female bomber was received,” the top police official said while speaking on a local television talk show.
Ghulam Nabi Memon said a student of the Karachi University was involved in the suicide bombing. However, investigations were ongoing probing how the explosives were sent inside the university, he added.
Meanwhile, Karachi University has rejected reports that the female suicide bomber was a student at the institution.