Khadijah Ghafoor, survivor of Faisalabad torture video, shares struggle one year later

    Minute Mirror - Subscribe
    Minute Mirror - Subscribe

    One year has passed since Khadija Ghafoor, a survivor of the Faisalabad torture video incident, began the challenging journey of rebuilding her life. The horrifying event involved an influential businessman and five others who allegedly abducted, tortured, and sexually assaulted Khadija. The graphic video quickly went viral on social media, exposing Sheikh Danish Ali and Maham, Khadija’s classmate, brutally attacking her and subjecting her to verbal abuse at Danish Ali’s residence in the upscale neighborhood of Paradise Valley, Faisalabad.

    In response to the widespread outrage on social media, the police promptly arrested Danish Ali, the primary accused, along with six other individuals involved in Khadija’s torment. The Chief Police Officer of Faisalabad formed a special team to ensure their swift apprehension.

    In a recent interview with the Express Tribune, Khadija Ghafoor revealed, “All the individuals mentioned in the First Information Report (FIR) are currently behind bars. Although the legal process in Pakistan is slow, my lawyers have persevered in their efforts to hold Sheikh Danish accountable.”

    According to the FIR, six men forcefully entered Khadija’s house, stealing valuable items such as her iPhone 13 Pro Max, gold bangles, and Rs500,000. They then took her to Danish Ali’s opulent residence in a wealthy area of Faisalabad, where they subjected her to torture in the presence of her brother. However, Khadija clarified that only her mobile phone was stolen, likely to erase any potential evidence against Sheikh Danish.

    Khadija also clarified that her relationship with the perpetrator was never of a sexual nature, contrary to initial assumptions when the case first came to light. She explained, “My parents were friends with Danish Ali’s family, and I was also friends with his daughter. I always regarded Sheikh Danish as a father figure, so I was shocked when he proposed marriage. My rejection of his proposal is proof that our relationship was purely platonic.”

    Another significant figure in the case was Ana Ali, Sheikh Danish’s daughter. The viral video suggested that Ana was present during the incident, and Khadija was forced to apologize by licking her shoes. Rumors circulated that Ana had fled to London, although her name appeared in the FIR. However, Khadija clarified in a recent interview, “Ana is still in Pakistan, and her name has been added to the Exit Control List. However, she is protected as a minor based on forged documents claiming she is seventeen years old.”

    After a year of legal battles, the video’s widespread circulation, and social media attention, Khadija now sees a glimmer of hope and is determined to redefine herself as a survivor rather than a victim. With only a few court hearings left, Khadija can finally plan a future away from the turmoil of the case. She expressed, “I have received tremendous support, and I will use it to show Sheikh Danish that he did not succeed in breaking me.”

    Despite her optimism, Khadija’s greatest concern regarding the case’s outcome is the possibility of the perpetrator evading justice through bribery. Nevertheless, she maintains hope that justice will prevail. Close contacts of Sheikh Danish have been reaching out to Khadija, urging her to settle the matter. Khadija stated firmly, “His father has persistently tried to contact me, attempting to persuade me to drop the charges. However, I remain resolute in my stance.”

    In a recent photoshoot, Khadija is depicted in elegant attire, gazing directly at the camera, displaying her strength and resilience to her social media followers. She explained, “I did this for my social media profiles to show everyone that I am a strong, fearless woman unafraid of anything.” She further emphasized that when a victim speaks out, many tend to blame and question her character rather than holding the perpetrator accountable. Khadija stressed, “What happened to me does not define my character. Even if someone engages in a profession considered unacceptable by society, they should never be subjected to such treatment.”

    Once the case concludes, Khadija plans to serve as an ambassador for Pakistan at the United Nations. She shared, “I have been offered a position at the UN, and once I turn 25 in a few months, I will undergo training in the UK.”