Fourteen people were killed in an air strike in the Yemeni capital of Sanaa as part of citywide strikes launched by the Saudi-led coalition fighting the Houthi rebels.
The Saudi alliance’s strikes on Sanaa followed an attack by the ‘Iran-aligned’ Houthi group on the United Arab Emirates (UAE). Three people were killed in the Houthi attack, including one Pakistani national.
Saudi state media said the coalition had initiated air strikes against the group’s camps and strongholds in Sanaa, on Tuesday.
The strikes are the deadliest since 2019. 14 people were killed in the attack on a former military official’s home.
According to Saudi state media, the Houthi leader Major General Abdullah Qassem al-Junaid was slain in the air strikes.
The deputy foreign minister for the Houthi administration said that 20 people had been killed in the Saudi-led coalition strikes.
Meanwhile, Pakistan has condemned the Houthi attack on UAE, saying that it violates the sovereignty and territorial integrity of the country. In a statement, the Foreign Office called for an immediate end to all hostilities and attacks. The FO also offered condolences to the victims’ families.
The statement added that Pakistan stands with UAE in solidarity in the face of “this act of terrorism”.