28 C
Lahore
Thursday, October 6, 2022
Search
Generic filters
HomeSportsPTV serves Rs100m defamation notice on Shoaib Akhtar

PTV serves Rs100m defamation notice on Shoaib Akhtar

Former cricket star says he will fight matter legally in court

The feud between former Pakistan pace star Shoaib Akhtar and Pakistan Television Corporation (PTV) escalated to a new level as the national organization reportedly served a Rs100 million defamation notice on the former cricketer on Sunday.

As per reports, PTV’s stance was that Akhtar was bound to serve a three-month notice period before resigning, which he did not as he resigned on-air during a live transmission on October 6.

- Advertisement -

PTV maintained that Akhtar’s resignation midway through a live show caused severe financial damage to the institution. “Shoaib Akhtar also departed Dubai without informing PTV management during the T20 World Cup broadcast.” In addition, “PTV suffered irreparable damages as a result of Akhtar’s participation in an Indian TV show featuring Indian cricketer Harbhajan Singh,” the notice stated.

According to other reports, 57 days were left in Akhtar’s contract so the aggrieved could not serve a 90-day notice to PTV.

In response to the notice, a dejected Akhtar said in a tweet that he was a ‘fighter’ and that he would not give in to the notice but resist it legally. He said his lawyer would respond to the notice through due process.

- Advertisement -

The issue erupted last month after Akhtar landed in a disagreement with the show’s host, Dr. Nauman Niaz and resigned while the show was live. Former West Indies batting star Sir Vivian Richards, former England captain David Gower, former Pakistan women’s captain Sana Mir, and former fast bowler Umar Gul were among the panelists on the show.

Advertisement

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Top news

Related articles