Questions afloat about Ehsanullah Ehsan’s ‘threat’ to New Zealand team

Federal Information Minister Fawad Chaudhry earlier said threat to New Zealand cricket board originated from fake account of former TTP spokesperson

Netizens have questioned the state’s writ after Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) spokesperson Ehsanullah Ehsan claimed in an unconfirmed voice note that information about the terror threat to New Zealand’s (NZ’s) cricket team was posted from his original Facebook account.

Journalist Roohan Ahmad alleged that reporters had received a voice note from Ehsan in which he said that details about the security threat to New Zealand’s team were posted on his own Facebook account on September 17. According to Ahmad, the voice clip also stated that the threat had nothing to do with India.

The allegation came following Federal Information Minister Fawad Chaudhry’s statement on Wednesday about the threat to the New Zealand cricket board originating from a fake account of Ehsanullah Ehsan.

Several Twitter users wondered whether the voice clip was authentic. A user said that there was no way to prove whether the clip was accurate.

Deliberation over the veracity of the clip left others wondering how the terrorist escaped the grip of Pakistan’s security agencies to begin with. Journalist Zarrar Khuhro said that the dilemma to ascertain the authenticity of the clip would have been avoided if Ehsan had not managed to break free in Pakistan.

Another journalist, Reem Khurshid added that the clip being fake or not was another story, but Ehsan roaming free was enough grounds for fear and uncertainty to cloud the situation. Khurshid added that those responsible for the terrorist’s release were not being held accountable.

Ehsan served as the public voice that claimed numerous terror attacks on behalf of TTP in Pakistan. He later cited differences with TTP leadership and formed his own group, the Jamaat-ul-Ahrar, which was behind the Wagah border suicide attack in 2014.

In April 2017, the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) reported that Ehsan had turned himself in to Pakistan’s security agencies. Later in February 2020, Ehsan claimed he had escaped and was now free from the security agencies.