Contempt plea filed against Imran over long march call

Picture source - supremecourt.gov.pk

The federal government on Thursday filed a contempt of court plea against Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) Chairman Imran Khan in the Supreme Court over his long march call to Islamabad.

In its petition, the federal government told the apex court that the PTI chief is making announcements of marching towards Islamabad, which was a violation of a court order. “Imran Khan is making announcements to attack Islamabad,” said the plea. It urged the Supreme Court to direct the PTI chief to ensure the implementation of its orders related to protests and sit-ins.

The petition has been filed by the Interior Ministry on behalf of the federal government.

Last month, the PTI chairman issued a warning to Interior Minister Rana Sanaullah and said that “he should be worried” because the PTI will be marching towards Islamabad with “full preparation” this time.

The threat was issued by the PTI chief at a workers’ convention in the federal capital.

Since then the PTI chief has been asking his supporters to be prepared as he could give a call for the anti-government long march to Islamabad at any moment.

Separately, a petition was filed in the Supreme Court (SC) on Thursday, seeking the disqualification of Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif under Article 62(1)(f) of the Constitution. The petition, filed by the former PTI MNA Andleeb Abbas through advocate Asad Manzoor, said the prime minister misused his powers and violated the constitution by holding meetings with proclaimed offenders during his foreign tours.

“The premier met his son Suleman, Ishaq Dar and nephew Hussain Nawaz, all three proclaimed offenders, during an official visit,” the petitioner stated.

The petitioner contended that the prime minister violated the Official Secret Act, 1923.

She asked the court to disqualify the respondent and also direct police to initiate criminal proceedings against the PM. This is the second time that former ruling PTI has approached court for Shehbaz Sharif’s disqualification.

Earlier in August 2022, the Lahore High Court (LHC) had rejected the plea seeking the disqualification of  Shehbaz Sharif.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here