OPEC+ members acted responsibly and took appropriate decision, says Saudi foreign minister

Picture source - Reuters

Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Faisal Bin Farhan stated on Al Arabiya television that the OPEC+ decision was purely economical and was taken with the consent of member states.

As per a Reuters report, while talking to Saudi television, Prince Faisal said that “OPEC+ members acted responsibly and took the appropriate decision”.

The response from Riyadh came after United States President Joe Biden’s comments on Tuesday, in which he warned of consequences on US-Saudi relations after the OPEC+ decision of cutting its oil production target over US objections.

“When the House and Senate get back after the midterm elections… there’s going to be consequences,” Biden stated during the interview.

Meanwhile, Biden did not talk about the options he was considering in an interview with CNN’s Jake Tapper.

Earlier on Tuesday, US top Senator and Chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee Bob Mendez also urged the Biden administration to suspend all types of cooperation with Riyadh.

The US has also accused Saudi Arabia of potentially aiding Russia’s Ukraine invasion through this decision.

Last week, after weeks of persuasion by US authorities against this move, OPEC+, a group comprised of OPEC plus partners including Russia, announced the production target that upset the United States.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here