Court suspends Imran Khan’s warrants amid PTI workers-police clashes

    Under circumstances hearing, appearance can't proceed, after taking attendance everyone should go, rules court

    Additional District and Sessions Judge (ADSJ) Zafar Iqbal on Saturday suspended the arrest warrants for Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) Chairman Imran Khan in the Toshakhana case after conflicts between Islamabad Police and PTI workers outside the Judicial Complex.

    Due to the turmoil and confusion experienced today the court delayed the case to March 30 (Thursday) ordering Imran to appear in person at the subsequent session.

    Assistant District and Sessions Judge (ADSJ) Zafar Iqbal on Saturday authorized PTI Chairman Imran Khan to go back after noting his attendance outside the Islamabad Judicial Complex where the PTI Chairman was to be indicted in the Toshakhana case.

    “Under the circumstances, the hearing and appearance cannot proceed, thus after taking attendance, everyone here should go.” The hearing cannot take place today; there is no need for shelling or pelting, the court ruled.

    He continued by saying that after the signatures of the PTI leader were obtained, the timing of Imran’s subsequent appearance could be considered.

    Imran said that he was denied access to the court’s grounds as he and his motorcade approached the Islamabad Judicial Complex earlier.

    The PTI Chairman stated, “I am waiting outside the [judicial complex] door for 15 minutes and am attempting to enter but they have done teargas [shelling] and set checkpoints and it looks like they don’t want that I reach here” in an audio message that was made available to the media.

    He emphasized that he was trying to enter the complex despite being outside of it.

    The PTI leader was expected to appear before Additional District and Sessions Judge (ADSJ) Zafar Iqbal’s bench to participate in proceedings regarding an election commission of Pakistan (ECP) complaint alleging that he withheld information about gifts from his asset declarations.

    Imran had not yet arrived at the court despite the Islamabad Police tweeting that Imran’s convoy was directly in front of the Judicial Complex.

    Imran had left his Lahore residence a little after 8 am and had said in a video message that he expected an effort to arrest him.

    PTI leader Shah Mehmood Qureshi told the media that the formality of Imran Khan’s attendance was completed.


    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here