Karachi police take Hassaan Niazi into custody

Following Punjab Police, Karachi police detained Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) leader Barrister Hassaan Khan Niazi on Tuesday in connection with an alleged threat against the government.

Hassaan Niazi, the nephew of PTI chairman Imran Khan and his point of contact for legal matters, is accused of instigating violence, interfering with police work, and murder in the Zille Shah case, among other offenses. The most recent charge brought against the attorney was encouraging public hostility toward the government.

The first information report (FIR) claims that Niazi and his allies incited the populace via a social media video. In his speech to them, he made threats against the defense establishments, warning that if Imran Khan is detained, nobody will be spared.

The senior investigation officer (SIO) and three police officers made up the four-member squad that took custody of Niazi, according to Karachi police officials who verified that Niazi had been taken into custody.

After investigations, they stated, Niazi will be brought before a Karachi court.

According to the authorities, Niazi has been granted bail in connection with cases brought against him in Lahore and Quetta.

The PTI leader was placed on temporary remand by an anti-terrorism court (ATC) yesterday in order to be transferred to the port city. The PTI leader was sentenced to 14 days in prison in connection with the murder of Zille Shah.

The investigating officer requested that Niazi be physically remanded for a photogrammetric test during the prior hearing; however, the court instead authorized a two-week judicial detention, denying the request for physical remand.

Niazi was apprehended on March 20 as he was leaving the federal capital’s courthouse in connection with a case involving misbehavior with police officers after receiving pre-arrest bail in three other instances.

On March 21, an Islamabad’s court authorized the PTI’s legal affairs focal person’s two-day physical detention. After the physical remand expired, he was subsequently taken into custody on a 14-day judicial detention.