27 C
Lahore
Thursday, September 29, 2022
Search
Generic filters
HomeNationalVan carrying Chinese nationals targeted inside University of Karachi

Van carrying Chinese nationals targeted inside University of Karachi

A van carrying Chinese nationals was targeted inside Karachi University near its Confucius Institute.

Four people, including three Chinese nationals, were killed while four other people were injured in a suicide bombing next to a van inside the premises of the University of Karachi. Among those killed was the director of the Confucius Institute Huang Guiping, and Ding Mupeng, Chen Sai, and their Pakistani driver, Khalid.

- Advertisement -

The Counter-Terrorism Department said that the explosion resulted from a suicide bomb and was carried out by a woman wearing a burqa.

Following the blast, rescue services and security forces arrived at the location and cordoned off the areas, initiating rescue operations. Among those injured, two people have been identified – Chinese national Wang Yuqing and a security guard named Hamid. All are currently hospitalized and receiving treatment.

CCTV footage of the incident run by local media showed a burqa-clad person standing next to the gate as a van approached, with the footage showing an explosion just as the van took a turn.

- Advertisement -

Rescue forces had earlier said that a “cylinder blast” took place in the van near Maskan Chowrangi. Local media quoted Karachi Police Chief Ghulam Nabi Memon as saying that the blast could be suicidal and was conducted possibly by a female wearing a burqa, who came close to the van when it was entering the institute.

Sindh Chief Minister Murad Ali Shah took notice of the blast and ordered the deputy commissioner (DC) and superintendent Police East to reach the location of the incident immediately. He also asked for a detailed report of the incident from the Karachi commissioner.

CM Shah also contacted the Chinese Consulate and briefed the consul general on the incident. He expressed deep remorse and grief regarding the demise of three Chinese nationals in the explosion. He assured the consul general of a thorough investigation into the blast.

Meanwhile, the Baloch Liberation Army militant group has accepted responsibility for the attack. In a statement, the group confirmed that a female suicide bomber of its Majeed Brigade carried out the attack.

Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif condemned the incident and expressed grief over the incident. He assured that those responsible for the attack would be brought to justice.

Advertisement

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Top news

Related articles