Summary
- Australian authorities have charged a 27-year-old Russian-Australian man with foreign interference after alleging that he attempted to pass sensitive information about Ukrainian military activities to individuals connected to Russian intelligence.
- She said the case demonstrated the government’s determination to protect Australia and its international partners from espionage and interference conducted on behalf of foreign powers.
- The case is the eighth instance in which an individual has been charged in Australia with offences connected to espionage or foreign interference.
Australian authorities have charged a 27-year-old Russian-Australian man with foreign interference after alleging that he attempted to pass sensitive information about Ukrainian military activities to individuals connected to Russian intelligence.
Australian Federal Police Commissioner Krissy Barrett said the man had undertaken what police described as “military-style” training in Russia in October 2024. After completing the training, he returned to Australia and allegedly remained in contact with people he believed were associated with Russian intelligence agencies.
According to investigators, the man later travelled to Ukraine in 2025 and enlisted in the Ukrainian armed forces. His position allegedly gave him access to sensitive information concerning Ukrainian military personnel, military units and their locations.
Police claim that the man subsequently provided, or attempted to provide, information obtained during his time in Ukraine to people he believed were working for Russian intelligence. Authorities said the alleged actions could have placed Ukrainian military personnel at risk by exposing information about their movements, units or locations.
Commissioner Barrett stressed that Australia would not tolerate individuals using the country as a base for foreign interference activities. She said the case demonstrated the government’s determination to protect Australia and its international partners from espionage and interference conducted on behalf of foreign powers.
Police also confirmed that there was no evidence the accused had received military training in Australia. At the time of his arrest, he was unemployed. His identity has not been publicly released.
Investigators from the Australian Federal Police and the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation worked together on the case. Several search warrants have already been carried out as part of the investigation. Barrett said further arrests could not be ruled out as authorities continue examining the circumstances surrounding the alleged activities.
ASIO Deputy Director-General Claire McGuinness also issued a warning to foreign governments involved in interference operations. She said the case demonstrated Australia’s “zero tolerance” approach toward foreign interference and espionage.
The accused was scheduled to appear before a court in Brisbane on Friday to face the charges. If convicted of intentionally engaging in foreign interference, he could face a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison under Australian law.
The case is the eighth instance in which an individual has been charged in Australia with offences connected to espionage or foreign interference.
Australian security officials have previously identified Russia as a significant espionage threat. In 2024, authorities charged Russian-born Australian citizens Kira Korolev and her husband, Igor, with allegedly spying for Moscow. Police accused the couple of obtaining sensitive material linked to Australia’s military. Both had lived in Australia for more than a decade, became Australian citizens and retained Russian passports.
The latest investigation highlights Australia’s growing concerns over foreign intelligence operations and the potential use of individuals with access to military or national-security information. Authorities have emphasized that anyone suspected of assisting foreign intelligence services could face serious criminal consequences under Australia’s foreign-interference laws.
We welcome your contributions! Submit your blogs, opinion pieces, press releases, news story pitches, and news features to opinion@minutemirror.com.pk and minutemirrormail@gmail.com

