FIFA turmoil deepens as senior official Lamour exits

Tuba Zahra
4 Min Read

Summary

  • FIFA’s internal tensions have deepened after senior executive Kevin Lamour left the organisation, weeks after publicly criticising President Gianni Infantino’s controversial plan to sell part of the governing body’s commercial rights.
  • “FIFA can confirm that the working relationship between FIFA and Kevin Lamour as FIFA’s Chief Operating Officer has ended,” a FIFA spokesperson said.
  • Human rights organisation FairSquare has asked FIFA’s Governance, Audit and Compliance Committee to rule Infantino ineligible for another presidential term, arguing that FIFA’s rules limit presidents to three terms.
AI Generated Summary

FIFA’s internal tensions have deepened after senior executive Kevin Lamour left the organisation, weeks after publicly criticising President Gianni Infantino’s controversial plan to sell part of the governing body’s commercial rights.

FIFA confirmed on Monday that Lamour’s working relationship with the organisation had ended on August 17, bringing an abrupt close to the tenure of a senior official who had once been part of Infantino’s inner circle.

“FIFA can confirm that the working relationship between FIFA and Kevin Lamour as FIFA’s Chief Operating Officer has ended,” a FIFA spokesperson said. The organisation thanked Lamour for his service but offered no further explanation.

Senior executive Kevin Lamour

Lamour joined FIFA’s senior leadership team in November 2024. He had previously supported Infantino’s campaign for the FIFA presidency in 2016.

His departure comes after he openly attacked a proposal to create a commercial subsidiary worth around $20 billion and sell as much as a 20% stake to private equity investors. The plan was designed to raise an estimated $4.2 billion.

Lamour criticised the proposal last month, saying FIFA employees had been “deceived” about the plan and describing it as “the project of one person”.

He also questioned whether FIFA’s leadership was putting personal interests ahead of football’s wider interests.

The controversy intensified after Carlos Cordeiro, a senior adviser to Infantino, resigned in protest and described the proposed deal as a bad arrangement for football. Infantino subsequently withdrew the proposal.

However, the backlash has continued and has increasingly raised questions about Infantino’s bid for a fourth term as FIFA president.

Infantino’s Reelection Faces Growing Opposition

Infantino’s reelection, once widely regarded as almost certain, now faces a stronger challenge.

UEFA, the Asian Football Confederation and CONCACAF have all expressed concerns and recently called for an independent review of Infantino’s conduct. At the same time, several national football associations have questioned whether they should support another term.

The Scottish Football Association has already said it will not back Infantino in next year’s election.

The dispute has also moved into FIFA’s governance structures.

Human rights organisation FairSquare has asked FIFA’s Governance, Audit and Compliance Committee to rule Infantino ineligible for another presidential term, arguing that FIFA’s rules limit presidents to three terms.

Infantino, however, has maintained that his initial period in office from 2016 to 2019 should not count because he completed an interrupted mandate following the resignation of former president Sepp Blatter.

He was elected in 2016 and subsequently won uncontested elections in 2019 and 2023.

FairSquare director Nicholas McGeehan said the organisation’s complaint presented evidence of what he described as a breach of FIFA’s rules.

Former FIFA Governance and Review Committee head Miguel Maduro also backed the complaint, arguing that term limits were a central part of reforms introduced to prevent excessive concentration of power.

The dispute now places FIFA under increasing scrutiny ahead of next year’s presidential election.

While Infantino retains support from the African and South American confederations, opposition from influential football bodies in Europe, Asia and North and Central America could make his path to another term considerably more difficult.

With Lamour’s departure adding to the controversy surrounding FIFA’s leadership, pressure on Infantino is likely to remain intense as football’s governing body approaches a crucial election year.

We welcome your contributions! Submit your blogs, opinion pieces, press releases, news story pitches, and news features to opinion@minutemirror.com.pk and minutemirrormail@gmail.com
Share This Article
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *