Joe Marler defends Prince Harry after backlash over podcast interview

Saadia Aiman
4 Min Read

Summary

  • Prince Harry appeared on the Joe Marler Will See You Now podcast last month during a visit to the UK.
  • The interview also sparked criticism over certain moments, including Harry reportedly introducing himself as the “Prince of England.” Questions were also raised about the protocols surrounding his and Meghan Markle’s public appearances.
  • According to Dolan, the scale of the financial fallout makes this a defining moment for Harry, describing it as an existential crisis for the prince.
AI Generated Summary

Former rugby star Joe Marler has spoken out about the criticism surrounding Prince Harry’s recent podcast appearance, revealing that he was initially nervous about interviewing the Duke of Sussex because of the divided public opinion surrounding him.

Prince Harry appeared on the Joe Marler Will See You Now podcast last month during a visit to the UK. His relaxed and cheerful appearance attracted attention, with some observers suggesting that viewers were seeing a more familiar side of the Duke.

The interview also sparked criticism over certain moments, including Harry reportedly introducing himself as the “Prince of England.” Questions were also raised about the protocols surrounding his and Meghan Markle’s public appearances.

Speaking to The Mirror, Marler said he had expected the interview to attract backlash but explained that meeting Harry in person quickly changed his perspective. He said he was already supportive of the Duke but became even more convinced after seeing how casually Harry interacted with the podcast team.

Marler recalled that Harry entered the room without any ceremony, greeted everyone warmly and hugged him and co-host Jake. According to the former rugby player, the atmosphere quickly became relaxed, making it feel like they were simply talking to an ordinary person.

Marler said he was prepared for criticism over the interview but did not want the possibility of backlash to prevent them from being genuine during their conversation. His latest comments further underline his support for Harry despite the continued controversy surrounding the Duke.

Moreover, Prince Harry is once again facing sharp criticism from royal commentators. The backlash follows his defeat in a High Court privacy case against Associated Newspapers on July 7.

Royal broadcaster Neil Sean weighed in on the mounting pressure surrounding the Duke of Sussex. He suggested much of the current turmoil is self-inflicted, pointing out that Harry has effectively made his struggles public for the world to see.

Sean went further, describing Harry as someone visibly on edge right now. He questioned whether the prince’s current mindset appeared healthy given everything unfolding around him.

According to Sean, the court defeat has left Harry navigating a genuinely difficult situation largely on his own. He suggested the fallout from the case has affected Harry far more deeply than he’d likely admit publicly.

Sean noted that this marks unfamiliar territory for Harry, who has typically had support systems, like a private secretary, to help manage this kind of crisis. He said the experience of realising not everything he touches turns out successfully has clearly been difficult for him to process.

Beyond the reputational damage, financial concerns are also mounting. Commentator Mark Dolan did not hold back, describing the situation as a full-blown financial disaster for the prince.

Dolan estimated Harry could be facing costs anywhere between $10 million and $20 million as a result of the case. He said even a conservative estimate of $10 million would essentially wipe out all the money Harry earned from his memoir, “Spare.”

Dolan raised pointed questions about whether Harry actually has the funds to cover those costs. He also wondered how Meghan Markle might be reacting to the situation, and what Harry’s next move could realistically look like.

According to Dolan, the scale of the financial fallout makes this a defining moment for Harry, describing it as an existential crisis for the prince. With both reputational and financial pressures mounting simultaneously, commentators suggest this latest setback could prove especially difficult for Harry to recover from.

We welcome your contributions! Submit your blogs, opinion pieces, press releases, news story pitches, and news features to opinion@minutemirror.com.pk and minutemirrormail@gmail.com
Share This Article
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *