Poland condemns Gaza humanitarian crisis, calls for accountability over Israeli military actions

Khusbakht Bilal
4 Min Read

Summary

  • WARSAW: Polish Foreign Minister Radoslaw Sikorski has criticised the humanitarian situation in Gaza and the lack of accountability for what he described as the Israeli military’s “excessive use of force,” warning that such actions are weakening public support for Israel even in countries traditionally sympathetic to it.
  • “The humanitarian catastrophe in Gaza, as well as the failure of accountability for [Israel Defence Forces] IDF’s excessive use of force, are undermining public support in even pro-Israel nations,” Sikorski said.
  • The Polish ministry said the Israeli ambassador in Warsaw had been summoned after Polish authorities were informed on August 19 that the Israeli military had decided to discontinue the proceedings.
AI Generated Summary

WARSAW: Polish Foreign Minister Radoslaw Sikorski has criticised the humanitarian situation in Gaza and the lack of accountability for what he described as the Israeli military’s “excessive use of force,” warning that such actions are weakening public support for Israel even in countries traditionally sympathetic to it.

Writing on X on Thursday, Sikorski said that genuine partnerships require mutual respect and suggested that the continuing humanitarian crisis in Gaza was having an impact on international public opinion.

“The humanitarian catastrophe in Gaza, as well as the failure of accountability for [Israel Defence Forces] IDF’s excessive use of force, are undermining public support in even pro-Israel nations,” Sikorski said.

His remarks came after Poland’s Foreign Ministry expressed strong disappointment over Israel’s decision to close proceedings into the April 1, 2024, attack on a World Central Kitchen humanitarian convoy in Gaza. The strike killed seven aid workers, including Polish national Damian Sobol.

The Polish ministry said the Israeli ambassador in Warsaw had been summoned after Polish authorities were informed on August 19 that the Israeli military had decided to discontinue the proceedings.

Warsaw said it remained dissatisfied with the measures taken so far to determine what happened during the attack. Polish authorities also called on Israel to provide all explanations and documents requested by Polish investigators.

The District Prosecutor’s Office in PrzemyÅ›l is conducting a separate investigation into the incident, according to the Polish Foreign Ministry.

Poland said the circumstances surrounding the deaths needed to be fully established and stressed that those responsible should not be allowed to avoid legal or moral accountability.

The ministry also said that the families of the victims deserved appropriate compensation and redress.

Poland’s criticism came shortly after the Israeli military acknowledged details surrounding another incident involving the death of a Palestinian child during the war in Gaza.

The case concerns five-year-old Hind Rajab, who was killed in January 2024 after Israeli forces opened fire on a vehicle carrying her and members of her family.

The Israeli military had previously denied that its troops were operating in the area where Hind was killed. However, following a months-long internal investigation, the military said it had determined that its forces had fired at the vehicle as it approached them.

According to reports, Hind remained trapped inside the vehicle for hours while several of her family members were killed. During that time, she reportedly contacted Palestinian emergency workers by telephone and pleaded for help.

An ambulance was dispatched to rescue her, but communications with both Hind and the emergency responders were subsequently lost.

Twelve days later, the bodies of Hind, her relatives and two ambulance workers were reportedly recovered from the area.

The Israeli military also said its investigation found that a shell was later fired at a Palestine Red Crescent ambulance that had been sent to assist Hind.

The incident became one of the most widely reported cases involving civilian deaths during Israel’s military campaign in Gaza. Rights organisations have repeatedly criticised the limited number of prosecutions and convictions resulting from Israeli military investigations into alleged violations.

The developments have intensified calls from Poland and other international actors for greater transparency, independent investigations and accountability over incidents involving civilian casualties and humanitarian workers.

Polish officials maintain that the circumstances surrounding the deaths of humanitarian workers and civilians must be thoroughly investigated and that families affected by such incidents should receive justice and appropriate redress.

We welcome your contributions! Submit your blogs, opinion pieces, press releases, news story pitches, and news features to opinion@minutemirror.com.pk and minutemirrormail@gmail.com
Share This Article
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *