Trump cuts military drills with South Korea over Iran

Tuba Zahra
2 Min Read

Summary

  • WASHINGTON: US President Donald Trump has expressed frustration with South Korea after Seoul declined to join Washington’s campaign against Iran, ordering the Pentagon to reduce joint military exercises with Seoul.
  • Trump said he recently asked South Korea’s president whether the country wanted to participate in efforts to denuclearise Iran, but received a blunt response: “No, thank you.” The US president said he instructed Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth to cut back the military exercises with South Korea.
  • South Korea has proceeded with the scheduled exercises, while the move to scale them back could fuel debate over regional security and Washington’s long-term commitment to the Korean peninsula.
AI Generated Summary

WASHINGTON: US President Donald Trump has expressed frustration with South Korea after Seoul declined to join Washington’s campaign against Iran, ordering the Pentagon to reduce joint military exercises with Seoul.

Trump said he recently asked South Korea’s president whether the country wanted to participate in efforts to denuclearise Iran, but received a blunt response: “No, thank you.”

The US president said he instructed Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth to cut back the military exercises with South Korea. Although the drills had already begun, Trump said it was too late to cancel them completely and criticised the decision to proceed with exercises he considers costly.

The Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise began on Monday and is scheduled to continue through Aug 27. About 18,000 South Korean troops are taking part, with training focused on cyber and drone threats.

Trump also argued that the exercises send an “inappropriate and hostile” message to North Korea. He pointed to his relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, saying Pyongyang had not posed a threat to the United States during his presidency and had maintained a respectful attitude.

The decision has raised questions about the future of the US-South Korea alliance. Washington and Seoul regard joint military exercises as a crucial part of maintaining readiness and deterring North Korean aggression.

Trump’s latest comments suggest the alliance could face pressure as his administration reshapes US military commitments and seeks stronger allied support for its Middle East policies.

South Korea has proceeded with the scheduled exercises, while the move to scale them back could fuel debate over regional security and Washington’s long-term commitment to the Korean peninsula.

We welcome your contributions! Submit your blogs, opinion pieces, press releases, news story pitches, and news features to opinion@minutemirror.com.pk and minutemirrormail@gmail.com
Share This Article
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *