JI announces nationwide shutter-down strike after Rabi-ul-Awwal

Hadia Batool
By
Hadia Batool
Hadia Batool is Web Editor of Minute Mirror. She can be reached at bhadia624@gmail.com.
3 Min Read

Summary

  • Jamaat-e-Islami (JI) Emir Hafiz Naeemur Rehman has announced a nationwide shutter-down strike after 12th Rabi-ul-Awwal, as the party continues its protests against rising petroleum prices and the government’s petroleum levy.
  • Hafiz Naeem called for a reduction in petroleum product prices and criticised what he described as excessive government expenditure.
  • The government has also faced criticism following repeated increases in petroleum prices.
AI Generated Summary

Jamaat-e-Islami (JI) Emir Hafiz Naeemur Rehman has announced a nationwide shutter-down strike after 12th Rabi-ul-Awwal, as the party continues its protests against rising petroleum prices and the government’s petroleum levy.

Speaking at a press conference in Lahore on Sunday, Hafiz Naeem said the JI’s sit-ins in provincial capitals had entered their eighth day and would continue until the government practically implemented the party’s demands.

He rejected the idea of ending the protests solely on the basis of government assurances, saying the party wanted concrete action rather than promises.

Hafiz Naeem called for a reduction in petroleum product prices and criticised what he described as excessive government expenditure. He also raised concerns over rising prices of essential commodities, saying flour and sugar mafias were making life difficult for ordinary citizens while farmers were struggling with expensive fertiliser.

The JI chief said the nationwide shutter-down strike would be launched after Eid Milad-un-Nabi, which falls on August 26 this year.

He warned that the party’s protest movement would not be called off until its demands were implemented. According to Hafiz Naeem, negotiations would no longer be based on requests for protesters to end their sit-ins in exchange for verbal commitments.

JI workers have been holding demonstrations since August 16. Sit-ins are being staged outside the Punjab chief minister’s residence in Lahore and at governor houses in Karachi, Quetta and Peshawar.

The protests come as consumers face growing pressure from fuel costs, inflation and high electricity bills. The government has also faced criticism following repeated increases in petroleum prices.

The situation has become more challenging amid fluctuations in international oil prices linked to renewed tensions in the Middle East. Authorities have also moved from a 15-day fuel price review to a daily mechanism.

The fuel price issue has triggered separate concerns among transporters and petroleum dealers. Earlier this week, the All Pakistan Goods Transport Alliance suspended a nationwide strike for 40 days after receiving assurances from the federal and Sindh governments regarding several demands, including petroleum pricing.

The Pakistan Petroleum Dealers Association has also pressed the government to resolve outstanding issues and honour previous commitments.

We welcome your contributions! Submit your blogs, opinion pieces, press releases, news story pitches, and news features to opinion@minutemirror.com.pk and minutemirrormail@gmail.com
Share This Article
Hadia Batool is Web Editor of Minute Mirror. She can be reached at bhadia624@gmail.com.
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *