Summary
- South Korea has called for renewed dialogue between the United States and North Korea after US President Donald Trump ordered a reduction in annual military exercises with Seoul.
- The South Korean government said it hopes Trump’s relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un can help restart diplomatic engagement between Washington and Pyongyang.
- The statement followed Trump’s decision to scale back US military exercises with South Korea.
South Korea has called for renewed dialogue between the United States and North Korea after US President Donald Trump ordered a reduction in annual military exercises with Seoul.
The South Korean government said it hopes Trump’s relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un can help restart diplomatic engagement between Washington and Pyongyang.
President Lee Jae Myung’s office said Seoul was ready to take diplomatic steps to encourage meaningful discussions. The goal, according to the presidential office, is to reduce tensions and promote peace and stability on the Korean Peninsula.
The statement followed Trump’s decision to scale back US military exercises with South Korea. Trump said his decision was influenced by his relationship with Kim.
In a social media statement, Trump argued that the exercises were expensive and could send an inappropriate or hostile message to North Korea.
Trump also referred to the situation involving Iran while explaining his decision. He said he had recently asked the South Korean president whether Seoul wanted to participate in efforts concerning the denuclearisation of Iran, but that South Korea had declined.
North Korea had not immediately issued a response to Trump’s announcement.
Pyongyang has repeatedly criticised joint US-South Korean military exercises. North Korean authorities have previously described the drills as preparations for a potential invasion and warned that they could trigger a strong response.
The latest developments come after President Lee proposed direct discussions with North Korea on Saturday.
Lee called for both sides to abandon threats and begin talks aimed at formally ending the long-running conflict on the Korean Peninsula.
He said discussions between the directly involved parties could also create an opportunity to explore measures aimed at stopping the expansion of North Korea’s nuclear capabilities.
South Korea has long sought greater diplomatic engagement to reduce military tensions with its northern neighbour. However, negotiations between Washington and Pyongyang have remained stalled.
Trump and Kim previously held high-level meetings, raising hopes of progress on North Korea’s nuclear programme. Those efforts ultimately failed to produce a lasting agreement.
Analysts believe Trump’s latest decision could be intended to create conditions for renewed negotiations. However, they warn that North Korea may demand significant concessions before returning to the negotiating table.
Leif-Eric Easley, a professor at Ewha University in Seoul, said Trump’s recent comments about Kim indicated a possible willingness to re-engage with North Korea.
Easley also cautioned that Pyongyang has been strengthening its military capabilities while benefiting from its relationship with Russia during the war in Ukraine.
He warned that reducing US-South Korean military exercises could create challenges for the alliance. It could also affect coordination between the two militaries and slow South Korea’s efforts to assume greater responsibility for its own defence.
The professor further argued that a reduction in military preparedness could weaken deterrence against potential conflicts in the wider Asian region.
South Korea now faces the challenge of balancing diplomacy with military preparedness. Seoul wants to use the current opening for dialogue while maintaining security cooperation with Washington.
We welcome your contributions! Submit your blogs, opinion pieces, press releases, news story pitches, and news features to opinion@minutemirror.com.pk and minutemirrormail@gmail.com

