Japan cancels Netflix collaboration over Badly in Love controversy

Rose Fatima
4 Min Read

Summary

  • Japan’s Justice Ministry has decided to end its collaboration with Netflix over the controversial dating reality show Badly in Love following growing criticism that the partnership could be seen as glorifying criminal behaviour.
  • In a statement released Friday, the Justice Ministry clarified that its intention had never been to support or excuse criminal behaviour.
  • For now, the Justice Ministry has chosen to distance itself from the Netflix series while continuing to support rehabilitation initiatives separately.
AI Generated Summary

Japan’s Justice Ministry has decided to end its collaboration with Netflix over the controversial dating reality show Badly in Love following growing criticism that the partnership could be seen as glorifying criminal behaviour.

The ministry had launched the unusual campaign earlier this month in cooperation with Netflix, promoting the show’s second season and featuring several of its cast members in an official poster. The programme focuses on Japan’s so-called “yankii” delinquent culture and follows young men and women with troubled backgrounds as they live together and navigate relationships. Some participants have previously been involved with motorcycle gangs, while others have admitted to serious criminal activities, including connections to organised crime.

Despite the controversial subject matter, Badly in Love has attracted considerable attention since its first season was released in December. Netflix reported that the series remained among the top 10 most-watched programmes for several weeks in markets including South Korea, Taiwan and Hong Kong.

The Justice Ministry’s rehabilitation bureau initially supported the collaboration because it believed the programme highlighted stories of difficult childhoods, remorse and personal transformation. Officials said these themes reflected the rehabilitation campaign’s message that people can change after making serious mistakes in their lives.

However, the partnership quickly faced criticism, particularly after an episode from Season 2 revealed disturbing details about one participant’s past. During the episode, a cast member reportedly admitted that he had been arrested as a teenager after setting another person on fire as part of an attempt to prove that he was not afraid.

The revelation intensified concerns about the government’s decision to associate itself with the programme. Critics argued that the collaboration could cause distress to victims of crime and their families and might create the impression that serious offences were being treated too lightly.

In a statement released Friday, the Justice Ministry clarified that its intention had never been to support or excuse criminal behaviour. It said the partnership was not designed to endorse delinquency or present past crimes in a positive or trivial manner.

Nevertheless, officials acknowledged that the campaign had generated significant concerns and criticism. As a result, the ministry confirmed that it would terminate its collaboration with Netflix.

The decision does not mean that the government is abandoning rehabilitation efforts for people who have committed crimes in the past. The ministry stressed that ending the campaign should not be interpreted as a rejection of the idea that former offenders can rebuild their lives and contribute positively to society.

The programme itself will continue to be available without government involvement.

Badly in Love executive producer Dai Ota previously defended the show’s approach, saying the production team had held extensive discussions before Season 1 to avoid creating the impression that violence or criminal behaviour was being encouraged. He explained that the producers wanted to portray participants as young people who had experienced marginalisation but were still capable of struggling, changing and growing.

The cancellation highlights the difficult balance between promoting rehabilitation and ensuring that the experiences of crime victims are not overlooked. For now, the Justice Ministry has chosen to distance itself from the Netflix series while continuing to support rehabilitation initiatives separately.

We welcome your contributions! Submit your blogs, opinion pieces, press releases, news story pitches, and news features to opinion@minutemirror.com.pk and minutemirrormail@gmail.com
Share This Article
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *