Summary
- 1 Aryna Sabalenka and top men’s seed Alexander Zverev were both sent crashing out in the fourth round, with rain adding further twists to an already unpredictable day.
- The biggest surprise came from Czech youngster Sara Bejlek, who stunned four-time Grand Slam champion Sabalenka 7-6(9/7), 6-4 in a hard-fought contest that finished shortly after midnight.
- On the men’s side, American Tommy Paul produced another major upset by defeating French Open champion Zverev 4-6, 7-6(8/6), 6-4.
CINCINNATI: The Cincinnati Open produced a dramatic night of upsets as world No. 1 Aryna Sabalenka and top men’s seed Alexander Zverev were both sent crashing out in the fourth round, with rain adding further twists to an already unpredictable day.
The biggest surprise came from Czech youngster Sara Bejlek, who stunned four-time Grand Slam champion Sabalenka 7-6(9/7), 6-4 in a hard-fought contest that finished shortly after midnight.
Sabalenka appeared to have control of the opening set. The Belarusian led by a break and moved 5-1 ahead in the tiebreak, seemingly within touching distance of taking the set.
But Bejlek refused to fold.
The 20-year-old fought back brilliantly, winning the tiebreak and then recovering from 4-1 down in the second set. She broke Sabalenka three times before serving out the biggest victory of her career with a love game finished by an ace.
“I lost my words — it feels incredible,” Bejlek said after securing her first victory over a top-10 opponent.
The Czech player, who began the year by winning the Abu Dhabi title as a qualifier, now faces American Madison Keys in the quarter-finals.
For Sabalenka, the defeat continues a worrying run ahead of the US Open, which begins on Aug 30. She also exited in the fourth round in Toronto last week and suffered early defeats at Wimbledon and the French Open.
On the men’s side, American Tommy Paul produced another major upset by defeating French Open champion Zverev 4-6, 7-6(8/6), 6-4.
Paul saved a match point during a tense second-set tiebreak before fighting back from a 4-2 deficit in the deciding set. After breaking back, he broke Zverev again at 5-4 to complete the comeback.
Rain repeatedly interrupted the contest, including a 90-minute delay in the second set.
“I’m not sure how I did it,” Paul said, crediting aggressive returns and his willingness to attack the ball.
The surprises continued as second seed Felix Auger-Aliassime fell to Frances Tiafoe 6-3, 6-4, while fifth seed Alex de Minaur was beaten by Arthur Fils.
Sixth seed Taylor Fritz, however, advanced with a straight-sets victory over Chris O’Connell.
In the women’s draw, Coco Gauff progressed after beating Marie Bouzkova 6-3, 6-2, saving all eight break points she faced. Defending champion Iga Swiatek also moved into the quarter-finals, defeating Diane Parry 6-3, 6-3.
With several leading names already eliminated, Cincinnati has suddenly opened up — and the road to the US Open looks far less predictable than it did just days ago.
We welcome your contributions! Submit your blogs, opinion pieces, press releases, news story pitches, and news features to opinion@minutemirror.com.pk and minutemirrormail@gmail.com

