Mir Raza’s parents seek CM’s direct probe oversight

Hadia Batool
By
Hadia Batool
Hadia Batool is Web Editor of Minute Mirror. She can be reached at bhadia624@gmail.com.
4 Min Read

Summary

  • The family also demanded a departmental inquiry into the previous investigation team.
  • The family also raised questions about the conduct of Raza’s business partner before and after the incident.
  • The family also raised concerns about the handling of Raza’s electronic devices.
AI Generated Summary

The parents of slain businessman Mir Raza have appealed to Sindh Chief Minister Murad Ali Shah to directly supervise the investigation into their son’s death.

Through their lawyer, Jibran Nasir, Mir Hussain and Mariam Hussain sent a detailed letter to the chief minister on Wednesday. They called for greater transparency in the investigation and urged the provincial government to take immediate action against officers involved in the earlier probe.

The family also demanded a departmental inquiry into the previous investigation team. They called for the immediate suspension of the officers concerned, arguing that their continued presence in their current positions could affect witnesses and evidence.

According to the letter, the family believes that the investigation has not progressed satisfactorily. They alleged that the authorities have failed to properly examine several aspects of the case.

The family also raised concerns about what it described as an earlier focus on the possibility that Raza had died by suicide. They questioned why investigators were continuing to examine previous medical reports instead of pursuing other sources of evidence.

The letter referred to a recent police statement saying that suicide had been ruled out following a second post-mortem examination. Despite that development, the family said several important questions about the case remain unanswered.

The parents listed 24 questions for investigators. These included questions about Raza’s communications shortly before his death, the circumstances surrounding his killing and allegedly missing digital and forensic evidence.

The family also raised questions about the conduct of Raza’s business partner before and after the incident. They urged investigators to examine all relevant evidence rather than relying on a single theory about the death.

The letter further called for an investigation into the conduct of members of the previous police team. It alleged possible mishandling of evidence, failures to record witness statements and irregularities in the investigation record.

The family also raised concerns about the handling of Raza’s electronic devices. Particular attention was sought on the custody and forensic examination of his smartwatch.

They also questioned whether any senior police official or public office-holder had influenced the earlier investigation. The family called for an inquiry into any possible pressure to maintain a particular explanation for Raza’s death.

The letter proposed several terms of reference for a departmental inquiry. These included examining why the earlier investigation allegedly adopted the suicide theory prematurely and whether relevant medical advice was properly considered.

A copy of the letter was also sent to Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif and Sindh’s deputy inspector general for crime and investigation.

Raza, who owned the eatery Wafflix, went missing on July 28. His body was found the following day in bushes near Shahi Qila Ground in Gulistan-i-Jauhar. He had suffered a gunshot wound.

His family has maintained that he was kidnapped, tortured and murdered. Earlier investigators, however, said some evidence pointed toward the possibility of suicide.

Disputes over the initial autopsy report and the handling of the investigation led Raza’s family to seek permission for a fresh examination of his remains.

On August 8, an eight-member medical board headed by Police Surgeon Dr Summaiya Syed conducted a second post-mortem examination. The procedure was carried out in the presence of a magistrate, members of Raza’s family, their lawyer and the investigating officer.

The examination lasted about one hour and 15 minutes. Raza’s body was subsequently reburied.

We welcome your contributions! Submit your blogs, opinion pieces, press releases, news story pitches, and news features to opinion@minutemirror.com.pk and minutemirrormail@gmail.com
Share This Article
Hadia Batool is Web Editor of Minute Mirror. She can be reached at bhadia624@gmail.com.
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *